Episode 54: Black Voters Matter, But Black issues don’t

94% of Blacks voted for democratic party’s candidates and the other 6% either did not vote or they voted for Republican candidates.

Black people vote their color or their background but not their creed or interests. They vote to enjoy some feel-good moments but not to formulate policies to build sustainable and self-sufficient black communities. Forgive them for they are manipulated into thinking they ain’t blacks if they do not vote democrats.

This series discusses black voters’ behavior. Most importantly, it explains how black people, regardless of their social status and academic achievements, often vote their background but not to resolve their underlying issues. Without further ado, let’s get right into it. 

A Joint Center for Political and Economic Studies survey found that during the last three general elections, 94% of Blacks voted for democratic party’s candidates. Moreover, that same survey stated that the other 6% either did not vote or they voted for Republican candidates. These numbers proved that, although blacks have different social issues, most have the same voting behavior. In most layman’s terms, they vote for all democratic candidates and reject all Republican candidates because, peg the republican party as the anti-black, racist, unjust, and suppressor party.

Joe Biden does not consider “black” black people who have a problem figuring out whether they are to vote for democrats or republicans. Such a sentiment echoes well among blacks in the sense that they call traitors, racists, Uncle Tom, and various other degrading terms the few black people who do not vote democrat. According to Biden, to be Black in America is to act in political solidarity with other Black people to protest, revolt, or band against segregation and racial violence. 

White Americans either vote democrat or republican, and a white democrat may vote for a republican candidate or vice versa depending on such a candidate’s agenda. However, black people vote democratic tickets and do not change their vote even if the republican candidate is black or if such a candidate promises to invest or has already invested millions in black communities. 

Needless to say, American politics has not been about interests but race for a long time now. Candidates, regardless of their political party or the position they are seeking, court the black vote by making blacks believe that their vote matters.   

Although blacks have always helped democrats win elections, black communities are still underserved. It is simply because the African-American leadership does less in leveraging the black community-building power to enable voter engagement, policy change advocacy, and civic engagement.

I see individualism in the Blacks’ perception of racial injustice and political diversity. They ask for inclusion or first consideration for employment, school admissions, etc. However, they show no desire to formulate good sense policies to build black communities as collectivism with a common agenda. 

The black vote makes lawmakers and presidents, but black issues never make it to the government’s public agenda. It is a constant fight for Blacks to get something in return for their vote. It seems that they vote to have feel-good moments but not to have their interests represented.

Since both parties treat blacks like kings during their campaigns, blacks must become politically literate to formulate strategies as they remain unaffiliated. They must also mesh their resources and human capital to have their political party to bring black issues to the forefront of American politics. 

In summary, 94% of Blacks have uniform voting behavior, overwhelmingly voting for the Democratic Party. In contrast, Black who voted Republican are often derogatorily labeled as traitors, racists, or Uncle Toms. They often view the Republican Party as being anti-black and racist. Yet, Black communities are still underserved, and neither party takes their issues seriously. I suggest that, to ensure that their vote has power and to give importance to their issues, Blacks must become politically literate to create their own political party.